Wednesday, October 1, 2014

5 DAYS JOURNEY OF A REFRESHER STUDENT

I repeat, REFRESHER student not a REPEATER. 
I am taking my REFRESHER COURSE now. Actually, it is not mandatory. I don’t know. But a friend of mine told me that he didn’t took this course when he had his leave of absence. By the way, I had my leave of absence for a year due to a medical condition. Now I am back, my academic coordinator told me 
that I have to sit-in on class during major subjects only. Specifically during Mondays and Thursdays only. Since I had my leave of absence, I will now be on different batch. Supposedly, I should be graduating on 2015 but because of this leave of absence, I will be on Batch 2016. Well, it’s okay. That’s my life. God put me on this and I whole-heartedly accepting it. Wanna know my experiences during my refresher course? Okay, I know you don’t care but this is my blog. I will post whatever I want to post.



DAY 1: September 16, 2014
Happy birthday to me!!!! hahaha! Supposedly, my first day would be yesterday but since due to suspension of classes, it is moved today. As I walked through the corridors to look for my room, I was already thinking about several things:
>>>>> Will they be nice?
>>>>> Will they talk to me?
>>>>> Will they accept me on class?
>>>>> Will I be behaving normally and appropriately?
>>>>> Am I going to be nice?
>>>>> Am I be able to talk to them?


Things have been running on my mind. It feels like, first day on college when I was in first year was better than this time. That time, no one knows each other. We just start making out some new friends, asking for each other’s name. But today is completely different! They know each other already but not me! I met some of them before. I even have some close friends but it is still different!

And now I found our room! I took a peek of someone I know inside. I was looking for Vince if he's already there. He's the closest friend I know inside. I have known him already since he was first year and gradually we became close friends. He's isn't around at that time yet. OMG! I saw them! They are busy preparing for their case presentation and here I am staying outside of the room while texting a friend and asking where he is. Actually I am also praying that time, that someone will accompany me to go inside of the room. Suddenly, Hannah called my name! “Ate Junels!!!!!!” THANK GOD! Answered prayer! She ask me to go inside and of course I come with her. They are all staring at me! With my eyes that cannot see, but I know they are all staring me! (oops! Lines from VENGEANCE IS NOT OURS) haha! But literally, they are staring at me. I wonder what were they thinking about? Someone asked me if I will be their classmate. And I answered her that “YES I AM, I WILL BE YOUR CLASSMATE FOR ONE AND A HALF YEARS” Then after few conversation with her, I look for a good spot to sit. I stayed with my classmate who accompanied me to go inside. I was observing them. They were all busy. I can’t just sit out there. I should do something! I decided to help one group in preparing their props and other stuffs. Luckily, I brought some of my office materials which helped us on that. Presentation started. I was amazed by their performance.

They presented lively. I just can’t prevent myself from comparing their presentation from ours before but of course I shouldn’t because they are different. I was shocked when all groups were finished presenting with in 2 hours! During our time before, we actually consume almost an hour for one group only plus another hour for the defense. There were lots of differences from ours. But I guess, it is already that way and I can’t change it.
MEET MY SOON TO BE RLE GROUP 4
From Left to Right: Vince, Maise, RA, Rizza, Benedict, ME, Hannah

I was thinking about my RLE group or my duty group. On what group will I be joining soon? There is a group which comprised of 6 members only and the rest of groups comprised of 7 members. So I guess, I can feel what group I will be joining. It’s RLE Group 4! I am so thankful when Vince introduced me on his group. He even told his group to join with me on lunch.
THANKS FOR WELCOMING ME IN YOUR GROUP! :)
I had my lunch with them. It’s been a good time chatting and sharing stories with them. Since it’s my birthday, I treated them some ice creams. I already feel that I belong to the group. I guess they accepted me already in their group. I even had pictures with them as a group! Viola!
PICTURE WITH SIR FOJAS! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR!!From Left to Right: RA, Rizza, Hannah, Sir Fojas, Maise, Benedict, Vince, ME



I had a great time during Day 1. No discussion yet. But of course, even if I enjoyed being with them, I can’t change the fact that I miss my former section. There were times that I am thinking about them; what are they doing at the moment? How are they? But I guess, things happen for a reason. This is only my Day 1, more days and stories to come. I hope I can be able to get in touch with my new classmates on my new batch!



DAY 2: September 22, 2014

Lecture day started today. I decided to leave our house early as quarter to 7am. I don't want to be late. I don't want them to stare at me while going inside the room and looking for a comfortable place to sit. When I was in the elevator, I am thinking about several things again like
“Where will be our room?”

“Will there be quizzes today?”


I know I am over thinking again but I just can’t refrain from thinking several things that can’t happen. I know I am sort of pessimistic person but I have to overcome this! And now I am in the 4th floor already. I saw several students. I am beginning to see my future batchmates. I asked one girl where I can find the room of BSN 3-1. Luckily, she’s my classmate. She accompanied me to go inside. I am sitting at the last row where I used to sit before. I just find it comfortable. Later on, my classmates have been arriving and the class started. My professor saw me and asked to lead the morning prayer. As I walked through the aisle, I can feel that they are all staring at me. As I look on their faces I can read what’s on their mind!

“Who is that girl?”

I was just trying to avoid that feeling and started to lead the prayer. Minute had passed and I came back to my seat. I asked one classmate of mine if she has a seatmate and I was so glad when she answered “No ate, tabi ka na sa amin” (No, you can sit beside us). She’s so nice! Let us just call her Jeanne (the correct pronunciation according to her is JAY-ANNE). That moment, she’s the one I usually talked to. People I know in the class were quite far from my seat! So I have no choice but to talk to those near to me. I am so quiet at that time. Listening to the lecture of our professor about Diabetes Mellitus.

Most of that time, I was daydreaming. I was imagining our class set-up before. I remember my former classmates. There are times that my mind would say “I can still remember her/him sitting there”. Yes! That room reminds me of my classmates before. That even if I closed my eyes, I can still picture out my former classmates sitting in our room. I just missed them so bad! My former classmates now are seniors already. They are occupying rooms few steps away from us. It was just a block away!


Before lunchtime, I heard that they will be having a report in a creative way. I thought they are all ready but they were not. RLE Group 4 asked me if I want to join with them. I said yes and helped them to present. Of course, I am still new that time. I don’t know how to respond. I am so shy that time especially when talking to Rizza, our FilAm groupmate. I feel so dumb when talking to her. It is not that I don’t understand what she's talking but, I just don’t know how to respond well. I know how to speak English, I have FilAm friends, but you know, it was just hard that time. It feels like, it takes courage! Though it’s hard for me to present that time, I even tried. It’s been a year. I forgot most of lessons already in class. Thank God, we passed the presentation even if it’s incomplete. Well, I enjoyed presenting with them. After the presentation, our professor told us to find a partner in making our assignment. Thank God, Jeanne and Ara asked me to join their group.

I feel handcuffed and restrained on my seat. I can’t show them the real me! It feels like, I have to be cautious on my actions because they might misunderstood or misinterpret it. It feels like I feel so alone. I know I have several friends already out there, but you know that feeling of “I FEEL BETTER WHENEVER I AM WITH MY SENIOR FRIENDS”. I don’t say that my classmates now aren’t nice. They are so nice and very approachable. It is just way different.

I thought I accepted this thing already but I realized it’s different in actual. Of course I have been with my former batch for 3 years!!! And one year to go, it is supposedly my final year but here I am joining different batch.

I guess I just have sense of nostalgia at this moment. I am longing for something I used to have. I am missing people I used to be with. I guess I am still holding back to things and moments from the past. One thing I can just say before ending this part is,


IT IS HARD TO LET GO OF SOMETHING YOU USED TO HAVE!


DAY 3: September 25, 2014

Today was our UNIT TEST day! It went well so far. Some part of the test was hard maybe because I have different notes from them but well, all of my quizzes, unit test, term exams, and attendance are not recorded. But I guess
no effort is wasted, only time.
During lunch time, my senior friend Jazmine asked me to have lunch with her. Unexpectedly, other close friends of mine were also having lunch. So Camille and Anya joined with us during lunch. I was at their room that time. We talked a lot but time isn’t enough. I told them how I am going through in my class. I told them how hard it is to be their new classmate. I missed them a lot! It feels like it was just yesterday when we were just classmates. But now things have changed.


When I returned to my room, actually I was late because they were already starting. My academic coordinator/professor formally introduced me to class. I was really nervous that time. I don’t know how to respond. I don’t know how to introduce myself to them. I was frightened. But then, it was just introducing myself. It isn’t a graded recitation. That time, when she introduced me to class and even introduced myself to them, it feels like my handcuffs have been gradually loosened from its tightness. It was a great feeling. I overcome one of my fears that time.

I am starting to memorize their names. I even talked to several of my classmates. Jeanne my seatmate is so nice to me. We talked about some personal things already. I already found out that she has problem on her hands that’s why she keeps on using ipad or laptop during lecture. To be specific, she has “Carpal Guyon Syndrome”. She can no longer write normally. I told her about my case. I told her that, before I was thinking about, “I hope it was not in the knee, I hope it was somewhere on my upper limbs or extremities”. But when I met her, it feels like God gives me a message. My perspective on my case changed. Despite the fact that I have this OSTEOCHONDRITIS DISSECANS STAGE 1, I can still walk and do mostly normal things. I believe she’ll be fine soon, that one day she can write normally again. It is never too late. All you have to do is to believe!
She’s already part of my prayers now. She even told me that she wanted to be a lawyer one day because she is more on logical thinking. I know she’s a very smart girl and nothing can stop her from achieving her goals in life. It is just her hands that has a problem, but not her skills, thinking and attitude. Lord may you guide her always. Thanks God for this opportunity. I can say, 3rd day went better than yesterday so far!









DAY 4: September 29, 2014

I have now the courage to go inside the room even though most of my classmates are already there. But of course I don’t want to be very complacent on what’s happening. I just decided to go with the flow.

Remember my seatmate Jeanne, I nominated her for “20 Facts about You” and she answered me! Here is her post:

Number 15 amazed me, because she hugged me the last time we saw each other. It feels like I found a new friend again in class.

During this day, I also found a new friend. Her name is Angelique. We talked a lot. Sadly, she sits infront and I am sitting at the back. During breaks, we usually talk about random things. One time, we took a picture while Jeanne was sleeping. She’s so cute when she sleeps because she’s still smiling.

 Today, I also planned to surprise Vince for his birthday. Vince is my closest friend in Batch 2016 (which is my batch today). Thanks to Hannah, Maise, RA, Ben, and Gianne to for making this surprise possible. Actually his birthday was September 27, this was just late celebration. It was a successful surprise! I guess I was already having a great time in class. Well, I hope it continues until the end. I want to know them better.












DAY 5: October 1, 2014

I thought I have no class today. I thought I will be at my house whole day but unexpectedly, Jeanne texted me that they will be having lecture after lunch. Well, I should still be going to school because I have some papers to be fixed. So I decided to come in class. I just don’t want to waste my time. I was really sleepy at class! I slept at 2am because I was expecting that I won’t be having class on that next day because I thought it will be intended for evaluation exam and simulation for them. Well, I should not expect too much next time. I came to class. I reviewed some notes but my professor told me that I can no longer take her quiz. YES!!!!!! Because honestly speaking I didn’t review my notes on her lecture.
Well, technically speaking, though I take quizzes or exams, it is not even recorded! Imagine, I study to pass them all though I know at first it is not recorded. Most of my friends told me why I am taking this seriously. Just like in terms of LOVE. You did everything. You have given everything. But you get nothing in return, even him. Even if at first, you already know you will never have him.

To end up this part, there was a joke given to us (Ara) by Jeanne in the middle of the immortality session of the class. 



Jeann: KNOCK KNOCK!
Us: Who's there?
Jeanne: Swan-Ganz
Us: Swan-Ganz who?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Jeanne: SWAN...... twenty one GANZ....


ONLY NURSING STUDENTS WILL GET THIS!!!




One thing I learned from being a refresher, aside from the lectures I learned inside the room, is that I SHOULD GIVE MYSELF A CHANCE; A chance to meet other people, a chance to know them better, and most especially a chance to let them be now a part of your life. Things happen for reason. God puts me on this situation for a reason. Maybe it may look fuzzy and abstract at this moment, but time will come, I will understand why these things are happening to me. 

Sometimes I have to move forward because if you will just stay in place, you will miss lots of things. You will gonna lose the chances to see better things. This is just my plan and not His plans. I believe God has better plans for me. Now I am starting to adjust and accepting the things infront of me.
Currently, I am enjoying the company with them. But of course, I should not forget those people I met from my former batch, most specially those who really put a mark in my life. I should be very happy for them because they are already graduating. Atleast for 3 years of my life with them, I experienced lots of things. I experienced sadness, depression, happiness, and euphoria.

Now it's time to give myself a chance to meet new people and make friends with them. I know it will gonna be hard but I believe, I'll get through it. I'm going to surpass this!
Lord, thank you for this chance. I know you put me on this for a reason. Thanks for my classmates who made me smile for the past 5 days, that despite the fact that they don't really know me that well, they still manage to talk to me and trying to know things about me. Bless them Lord.




Your new classmate,



SLENUJ

No comments:

Post a Comment