Sunday, October 5, 2014

NURSING WORLD # 1



Nursing:

THINGS NEVER TAUGHT BY BOOKS







No matter how thick books are, there are always things that you can never learn from it but instead you are going to learn it by experiences or in the process.








There are 6 Things I Learned from Nursing that can never be found in any of our Nursing books! So here it goes the countdown:



6. Instant superhero

Many people think that nurses are the “DOCTOR’S MAID”. But what they don’t know is, all health practitioners are just the same. They just differ from their titles. People always stereotype without knowing what’s real behind.
Nurses are instant superheroes. They handle 4 or more patients at the same time. They always think about their patients first. Nurses are able to manage one’s condition so it won’t aggravate more and they also improve one’s health. It is always the nurse who is present before the doctor.


Remember, doctor gets mad whenever we don’t do something FIRST to the patient. It means we are the initiator and doctors just do the follow up intervention. Another thing that makes us SUPERHERO, we are always faced on different kind of diseases; INFECTIOUS or not. If we didn't follow precautionary measures, we might get infected. We are on the front row. No matter how infectious they are, it feels like we are already immune to it. 



5. Perfectionist

During my nursing days in college, clinical instructors always say
“THERE IS NO ROOM FOR MISTAKE!”

Yes! Of course! We are talking about someone’s life here. It is not just a paper that if something went wrong, you can just tear it down, throw it away, and make another one. We only live once. I also learned how to be organize all the time. In duty, we shouldn't do any serious mistakes and things should be properly organized because it is always accompanied by danger to the part of the patient. 
It's quite ironic to hear because we know that no one is perfect, but in nursing as much as possible no mistakes should be done!
Remember, if something happened to your patient, your license would also be in danger.  




4. Rejection

It hurts to be rejected! Who else don’t? I can still remember when my patient said she doesn’t want a student nurse. But why? Just because we are only STUDENT. Oh c’mon! Staff nurses today once became a student. It is painful for my part because I know I am not doing something wrong to her. I was there to give her assistance and care. In nursing life, many patients will reject you no matter how good you are to them. Sometimes they will even scold you even if you don’t do anything wrong to them. But remember, don’t take it personally. Whatever happens in hospital, stays in hospital.



3. Goal Oriented

When we are doing SOAPIE, there is a part there where interventions are goal met or not. Sometimes you will able to apply it on your daily living.

“I have to finish this on time!”
“I don’t have to be late”
“I have to do this”
“I have to do that”, etc.

We always look forward on our goals. I always finish what I started. Before I am not this goal oriented, I just go with the flow in life. I just let things happen. I don’t even plan for things that’s why at the end, I have no specific track where I am going. Remember, we should always set some goals in life to know if we are doing better from yesterday. Also, at the end if someone ask you “What have you already done in your life” then you can easily answer it.



2. Essence of Life

This nursing course taught me the essence of life. Honestly I once tried to cut off my life because I thought I was just living for nothing. I can still remember during my highschool days, a friend of mine told me
“Don’t you see the sick patients in the hospital? They are almost dying but still fighting for their life! And here you are, without any reason, you just want to end up your life?”
Her words have given a slap on my face. And from that very moment, I haven’t forgotten those words. How funny it is, that here I am now, taking up nursing and taking care of some seriously ill patients. When you take up nursing, you’ll be able to see a lot of dying patients. No matter what you are going through, I believe that you are still lucky.



1. You make difference on someone’s life

This is the most unforgettable thing I learned in Nursing. It is a great experience when at the end of the shift patient will say THANK YOU to you because of how you made them feel. I can still remember when my first duty in a public hospital, an old couple has been very nice to me. I can see my grandparents on them. During my last rotation, they even talked to me emotionally. My patient told me that I never made him feel like a patient. That was an unforgettable moment for me. Remember, just be good to others and you will also gain it in return.



Nursing is a profession but CARING IS A PASSION. 

Nursing can be taught but caring comes from you. 

It is just sad whenever I hear news about nurses who aren't doing their job right; nurses who become so rude to their patients. My message for them is, what if you are in their situation? They are sick. They need help. They are in pain. They need optimal quality of care so handle them with patience, love, and care.  I guess you didn’t took that 4 year course just to be rude to them so use your title effectively.


Don't ever underestimate us! Without us, no one will take care of you in 24 hours. Doctors just do their rotation in the morning. They don't come to your room time to time. They will just come to you during emergency situation. Who do you always call for help in the hospital? Nurses! Right? Without us, doctors wouldn't be that toxic in duty.


We are even more convenient than them. Those who are underestimating our job, why don't you try to take up nursing and do exactly our job, for you to know how hard it is. You don't know how hard it was to pass all the subjects in nursing just to gain this title!

Despite of those hardships we experienced during duty, it is all taken away from us whenever we see our patients doing better.






I am proud to be 

a nurse!


We are the heart 

of healthcare!








PROUD NURSE,


SLENUJ

2 comments: